Palm Oil, Forests and You
What could be the trouble with Palm Oil you may be wondering? Well naturally it comes back to industry not using precaution, but rather focusing on profit regardless of consequence. Palm Oil is found in everything from biofuels and processed foods to cleaning products and cosmetics.
Despite it being illegal in Indonesia, protected forests are being cleared daily to make room for Palm Tree plantations. This clearing of trees involves burning. Burning trees is devastating to the environment and to the atmosphere, especially when on peat soil as found in these tropical forests. Burning peat forces an even greater increase in CO2 levels. Trees are a storehouse of carbon dioxide, so when they burn abundant carbon dioxide is released. Worse, very dangerous air pollutants are emitted.
Air Pollutants Produced from Burning Forests:
- Particulate Matter– Contributes to lung & heart disease and climate change
- Mercury—Bioaccumulative toxin, causes disease and cancer
- VOCs—Volatile Organic Chemicals—cause respiratory problems and cancer
- Ozone-Smog forming Chemicals—trap heat, cause rise in surface temperatures
- Carbon monoxide–inhibits oxygen, causes organ malfunction, death
- Carbon dioxide—tree loss diminishes carbon reservoirs, CO2 stays in air
The cultivation of Palm Oil threatens and endangers People and Wildlife.
- Clearing and Destroying forests = habitat, ecosystem and tree loss
- Burning forests =Air pollution, Disease, Contributes to Climate Abnormalities
- Threatens rainforests and mankind’s future. People need oxygen, we produce carbon dioxide. Trees produce oxygen and absorb carbon dioxide.
Certified Palm Oil does make a Difference
Certified sustainable palm oil is grown on land that is not involved with the current destructive act of deforestation. That is the only palm oil we should allow in the United States. Only through our purchasing power can we get palm oil suppliers and manufacturers to stop clearing forests.
BEWARE, HOW TO IDENTIFY PALM OIL
Palm Oil can be found in many foods, soaps, cosmetics, and everyday products identified as: Palm Oil Kernel, Elaeis gunieensis,Palmicitic Acid, Palmate, Palmitate, Hydrogenated Palm Gylcerides Hexadecanoic, Vegetable Oil, Sodium Laureth Sulphate, Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, Steareth, SDS Sodium, NaDS Sodium, Calcium Stearoyl Lactylate Steareth, Steareth -20 Emulsifier LEARN MORE http://www.orangutan.org.au/palm-oil
SOLUTIONS: PROTECT THE FORESTS, PROTECT YOUR HEALTH
- Avoid buying products made with uncertified Palm Oil
- We can get these companies to change their ways and spend a few more pennies to source their palm oil from manufacturers with dignity. There’s no need for more trees to be chopped down, this is unsustainable and not carbon neutral. We need trees, all trees, not just palm trees.
- TAKE THE PALM OIL PLEDGE sponsored by the Rainforest Foundation US. As global citizens, it is our responsibility to take care of the planet and ensure the rights of those who protect and depend on our natural resources are respected. Want to do your share to protect the rainforest and those whose lives rely on it? Use your purchasing power for good and take the palm oil pledge below. THE PLEDGE: As an educated and informed global citizen, I pledge for one week to not buy products containing palm oil. I understand the devastating effects palm oil production and consumption has on the environment, the health and the livelihoods of both indigenous and local people throughout the world. By choosing products that contain no palm oil, my actions will decrease the global demand for palm oil production and promote the health and rights of local communities. http://www.rainforestfoundation.org/palm-oil-pledge
- BOYCOTT: IF WE BOYCOTT THE COMPANIES THAT ARE USING THE WRONG PALM OIL WE CAN GET THEM TO SOURCE THEIR PALM OIL SUSTAINABLY. ANY PURCHASE WE MAKE FROM THESE COMPANIES CURRENTLY IS LEADING TO DEFORESTATION. PLEASE FOR TREE’S SAKE, SAY NO TO:
Proctor and Gamble
As shocking as it may be, that is the green reality.