During this wanting season of presidential candidates, memories of John Kennedy Jr are flooding my mind. The prince of camelot, the prince of New York was destined to be our President in our lifetime. Rumors had it that he was going to announce his run for either President or New York Senator near or on August 1, 1999. Tragically, he perished in a plane crash and was forever removed from the world he loved the evening of July 16, 1999. As everyone knows, we lost not only John but also his wife Caroline Bessette and her sister, Lauren.
As media reported, we were led to believe this was an accident, due to pilot error. I was fortunate to experience living in New York City during the fall of ’98 and into ’99. It was magical then, and I truly believe his mere presence as a resident had something to do with that for everyone. When I heard the news of his crash, I shuddered in disbelief. Having lost my own brother in a small plane crash nine years earlier, news of the incident was familiar, yet impossible and hopelessly gut wrenching at the same time. Like the rest of America, I was stunned and devastated.
Photos (courtesy Getty Images) May, 1999 at Newman’s Own George Awards for most charitable corporation
Many years have passed. It is now May 1, 2017 nearly 20 years since they perished. For reasons I can’t explain, I’ve been drawn to look into this “accident,” and ask, was it an accident or was it something else? In light of the following points, I now question the story of pilot error we were told:
- Initially, media reported that John Kennedy Jr, according to the Coast Guard had made radio contact with Martha’s Vineyard Control Tower (MVY) at 9:39PM July 16, 1999 stating he was on final approach. This call was made a minute before his plane lost control. “The FAA reported the last contact with the plane during its final approach to the airport on the island off Cape Cod at 9:39 p.m., the Coast Guard said. The aircraft was due to arrive at Martha’s Vineyard around 10 p.m. and was later expected to fly to Hyannis Port,” the statement said. Read more here Several news outlets reported this early that Saturday. Why in later reports, was mention of this radio contact deleted?
- Witnesses on the island said they both heard an explosion like a bomb and saw a bright light from an explosion in the sky in the vicinity where JFK Jr’s plane fell to the sea.
“Explosion Heard; Plunge Now Called Much Steeper More Dire News”
OFF THE COAST OF MARTHA’S VINEYARD — As divers searching for John F. Kennedy Jr.’s doomed plane homed in late yesterday on a potential wreckage site, a Pittsburgh attorney who was surf fishing Friday night said he was startled by a “loud explosion” off Squibnocket Beach near Gay Head shortly before high tide.
“It sounded as if something just blew up,” said Victor Pribanic, who often spends evenings fishing for striped bass on the island’s most remote beaches.
He said he heard the chilling sound about 10 p.m. in the same vicinity that debris and a piece of luggage from Kennedy’s Piper Saratoga washed up earlier this week. Read more
- According to the NTSB Report Supplements A and B (NTSB report supplement) the electrical system and all switches were destroyed suggesting either fire or an explosion of some type occurred on board.
- Despite the media’s claim that JFK Jr was an inexperienced pilot, he had in fact been flying since 1982 and several persons and flight instructors said he was extremely careful and experienced as a pilot. Many went even further to speculate about their marriage. Personally I’ve always found it terribly distasteful for any person to say false, slanted, misleading, or inaccurate things about a person or people, in attempt to tarnish their credibility especially when that person cannot or is not present to defend himself. It’s all hearsay.
- Initial claims said weather in and near Martha’s Vineyard (MVY) that evening were clear with 8-12 mile visibility. Witnesses and people at the airport said they could see stars.
MVY had an Automated Surface Observing System (ASOS), which was edited and augmented by ATC tower personnel if necessary. The tower manager at MVY was on duty on the night of the accident for an 8-hour shift, which ended when the tower closed, about 2200. During an interview, the tower manager stated that no actions were taken to augment or edit the ASOS during his shift.
He also stated the following, “The visibility, present weather, and sky condition at the approximate time of the accident was probably a little better than what was being reported. I say this because I remember aircraft on visual approaches saying they had the airport in sight between 10 and 12 miles out. I do recall being able to see those aircraft and I do remember seeing the stars out that night…To the best of my knowledge, the ASOS was working as advertised that day with no reported problems or systems log errors.” See full NTSB report
- Apparently the crash was initially treated as a murder investigation involving FBI Division 4. Their classified report won’t be made public until 2025. Read more here
- JFK Jr’s plane was not kept in a protected area at Essex County Airport in New Jersey meaning anyone with ill intentions could have gotten close to meddle with the plane
- According to aviation experts, the piper saratoga JFK Jr was flying had autopilot and was capable, even if fuel were cut off, of gliding for miles to land safely.
- The absence of a Mayday call, especially since at 9:39 he was able to contact the control tower to calmly announce his landing, suggest a catastrophic event occurred
Who am I to question, but in light of all these facts, it is my opinion that this man who would’ve been our President– either in the last decade or perhaps in this election–was taken from us on purpose. Perhaps that’s wild to say, but I think if he were alive and something of this nature happened to someone else wildly popular in politics and in life, he himself would’ve written about it in his magazine, George. While government powers may be attempting to steer us to a new world order, one that both John Kennedy the President and his son opposed, many speculate about who could have been behind this horrific crime? While I could offer my opinion, that’s something we’ll have to figure out together. And even though our country and our nation has been blindsided by one shock after another, and we have more worries than we should, we must not forget this man, his wife or his sister-in-law. Most importantly, lets not forget what he could have done for our country. He was one of us. If in fact his death was not accidental as we’ve been told, it’s up to us to see that Justice is served; whoever is responsible must be held accountable for what they’ve done to these three people, their families, as well as perhaps especially to our country. He represented America with grace, virtue and kindness. It’s time for us to make the mayday call that they were unable to make.